This vegan lasagna from The Mindful Chef is a great light alternative from the traditional version and won’t leave you feeling heavy and lethargic.
We’ve given the classic lasagne a gluten-free twist and swapped pasta sheets for vibrant butternut squash, an excellent source of magnesium and antioxidants.
- 120g chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 240g butter beans (drained)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp sundried tomato paste
- 400g butternut squash
- 40g rocket
- 80g spinach
- Medium handful of fresh thyme
446 calories • 52g carbs • 22g fat • 14g protein
1. Preheat the oven to 180C / gas mark 4 and boil a kettle. Peel and thinly slice the neck of the squash lengthways. Cut the base of the squash into 1cm cubes.
2. Place the squash slices and cubes on a baking tray and drizzle with 1/2 tbsp oil and a sprinkle of sea salt. Place in the oven for 15-20 mins, turning halfway through cooking.
3. Thinly slice the mushrooms. Finely chop the garlic cloves. Remove the thyme leaves from the stalks.
4. Drain and rinse the butter beans. Heat a saucepan on a medium heat and add the butter beans with 100ml boiling water and season with sea salt and black pepper. Simmer for 5 mins then mash with a potato masher. Stir through the thyme leaves.
5. Heat a frying pan with 1/2 tbsp oil and cook the garlic and mushrooms for 3 mins, then add the spinach and cook for a further 2 mins until wilted.
6. In a small bowl, mix the sundried tomato paste with 1 tbsp oil.
7. To serve the lasagne, place a slice of squash on each plate, top with a spoonful of butter bean mash, then the mushroom and spinach mix and a drizzle of the sundried tomato oil. Repeat. Serve alongside the rocket and roasted squash cubes and drizzle with the balsamic vinegar.